4 min read
Smart Bangladesh is a comprehensive approach to modernizing and developing the country through the implementation of advanced technologies, sustainable policies, and innovative ideas. By focusing on the four pillars such as SMART Citizens, SMART Government, SMART Economy and SMART Society, Bangladesh can continue to grow and thrive in the 21st century.
Smart Bangladesh is one that recognizes the importance of technology in improving the lives of its citizens. It’s driving economic growth with high-speed internet, robust digital infrastructure, and the adoption of technologies like Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML).
Smart Bangladesh can optimize government operations, improve public services, and enhance decision-making. Open data policies and e-government services promote transparency, efficiency, and reduced corruption.
Its transportation and energy systems, as well as smart buildings and infrastructure, promote sustainable development and reduce waste. Therefore, the four major pillars of Smart Bangladesh are:
1. SMART Citizens: Smart Bangladesh aims to empower citizens by providing them with access to information and services through digital platforms, promoting education, health, and well-being, and fostering a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. This includes initiatives such as the Digital Bangladesh Vision 2021, which seeks to ensure that every citizen has access to high-speed internet, and the Digital Education Program, which provides students with access to online learning resources.
2. SMART Government: Smart Bangladesh envisions a government that is transparent, efficient, and accountable, and that utilizes technology to provide better services to citizens. This includes initiatives such as e-governance, which aims to provide online access to government services and information, and the National e-Service Delivery and Payment Platform, which allows citizens to pay bills and access government services online.
3. SMART Economy: Smart Bangladesh aims to promote economic growth and development by leveraging technology and innovation. This includes initiatives such as the Bangladesh Hi-Tech Park Authority, which aims to create a world-class technology park, and the ICT Business Incubator, which supports the growth of technology startups.
4. SMART Society: Smart Bangladesh aims to build a society that is inclusive, sustainable, and resilient, and that embraces technology and innovation to improve quality of life. This includes initiatives such as the Climate Change Trust Fund, which supports climate change adaptation and mitigation, and the National Women Development Policy, which aims to empower women and promote gender equality.
Recently, Bangladesh government introduced a new term named ”SMART Bangladesh” in 2023. SMART Bangladesh Consists of 4 major pillars such as SMART Citizens, SMART Government, SMART Economy and SMART Society. It’s also called Vision 2041.
However, “Smart Bangladesh/Vision 2041” is the next major step towards Bangabandhu’s dream of ‘Shonar Bangladesh’, a Golden Bangladesh.
There are several features that can make Bangladesh smart or technologically advanced. Here are some examples:
1. High-speed internet: Bangladesh needs to have a reliable and high-speed internet connection to ensure that its citizens have access to digital services and can engage in online activities.
2. Use of Artificial intelligence (AI): These technologies can help optimize government operations, improve public services, and enhance decision-making.
3. E-government services: This includes things like online portals for paying taxes, renewing licenses, and accessing public services. E-government services can help improve efficiency, reduce corruption, and increase transparency.
4. Robust digital infrastructure: This includes things like data centers, cloud computing systems, and cybersecurity protocols that ensure the security and reliability of Bangladesh’s digital assets.
5. Open data policies: Bangladesh should have policies in place that allow for the free flow of information and data across government agencies and the private sector.
6. Adoption of the Internet of Things (IoT): The IoT involves connecting devices and sensors to the internet to collect and share data. Bangladesh can use this technology to improve infrastructure, transportation, and public safety.
7. Smart transportation systems: This includes things like intelligent traffic management systems, electric vehicle charging stations, and smart public transportation networks.
8. Smart energy systems: Bangladesh should have advanced energy management systems that optimize energy usage, reduce waste, and promote the use of renewable energy sources.
9. Smart buildings and infrastructure: This includes things like green buildings with smart energy systems, smart parking systems, and intelligent waste management systems.
Overall, Smart Bangladesh is a comprehensive approach to modernizing and developing the country through the implementation of advanced technologies, sustainable policies, and innovative ideas. By focusing on these four pillars, Bangladesh can continue to grow and thrive in the 21st century.